Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Truman Show

Good morning! Sometimes, living in the BVI makes me feel like I'm living in The Truman Show. You know the scene in the movie, the one scene that's shown over and over again? "Good morning, and in case I don't see you, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" Living on Tortola is like that.

Ok, maybe not quite that extreme, but greeting people with a "good morning", "good afternoon", or "good night", depending on the time of day, is de rigeur. Every morning when I come into work I say "good morning" to the five or six staff members I pass on my way to the office. If someone comes in to the electric company while I'm standing in line to pay my bill, they're sure to issue a hearty "good afternoon", and everyone inside will respond likewise. Should you see someone you know on the street and not call to them with the appropriate greeting, your acquaintance will consider it an insult.

So before you come to the BVI, put on your best Jim Carrey smile, and get ready with your greetings. And in case I don't see you ...

1 comment:

Search This Blog